Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Bad News

“I’m not like other guys,” he says with desire in his eye.
“I know.” She smiles back at him. “That’s what I love about you.”
Of course, two minutes later, he’s a were cat, whatever that is. And she ends up suing for unpaid royalties. Seriously.

I guess it turns out those words were more prophetic than anyone could ever imagine. 750 million records sold, 13 Grammy Awards, 13 number one singles in his solo career, a Pepsi commercial gone awry, at least four nose jobs, a child molestation acquittal, and a heart attack later, the “King of Pop” is dead.

It seems appropriate that Michael Jackson ended up dying amid controversy and mystery at the young age of 50? Jessie Jackson is calling for answers. The live in doctor is dodging blame. And Jackson’s mother just got custody of three kids.

I remember the night quite well. It was a cold December evening. I was in the eighth grade and was trying to find my place in the high school band, an organization I could belong to and participate in even during my last year of elementary school. There was a party at Gwen Fordham’s house. Mark Hall, who played the clarinet, was totally obsessed with Michael Jackson. And MTV, an upstart cable network, was airing a new video—Thriller.

Jackson played only a small role in my musical life. Our marching band played “Beat It” on the field my 9th grade year. Occasionally, The Grapevine will break into a chorus or two of “Billy Jean”. And while 80’s tunes make up the largest playlist on my iPod, there’s not a single track from Jackson to be found.
Not that his reputation needed much embellishment, but Jackson supposedly often leaked inaccurate or sensational rumors to promote an upcoming project. The moniker of “Whacko Jacko” was earned. Unfortunately, his career and significance as a musician waned as his oddities and episodes of just plain weirdness piled up.

So on the same day that saw the loss of Johnny Carson’s sidekick and the Six Million Dollar Man’s former wife, Michael Jackson leaves this planet, perhaps for the one he came from. Only time will tell if history remembers him for those thirteen number one songs or for one white glove, a baby held over a railing, or endless jokes about boy’s pants at K-Mart.

No comments: