Sunday, September 20, 2009

Savannah

There is something mystical about Savannah, Georgia. I was fortunate to spend a few days there this week for a conference. And during those three days and nights, I soaked in all I could of this special port city.

Savannah has a unique texture, a compelling contrast of industrial harshness, tourism, food, and art. Underlying virtually everything there is the overwhelming depth of history and the constant flow of the ships and commerce giving life to the city and the state of Georgia on the Savannah River. The river and the massive ships that navigate her waters is a constant backdrop to all that happens here. But among the city streets and the Spanish moss draped parks are wonderful restaurants, amazing art galleries, and scores of art students.

There’s something about Savannah that touches my soul. There’s so much history here—for the state of Georgia, the town, and for me, as well. For whatever reason, a visit here is rejuvenating, sparking my imagination and my passion for things that are special to me.

One of my favorite places in Savannah is Forsyth Park, a thirty-acre gem surrounded by Savannah’s history neighborhoods and inns. The centerpiece of the park is a spectacular cast iron fountain purchased from France in 1851. I try to make time for a visit to this special place every time I visit Savannah. Certainly, several of what I consider to be my best and favorite photos were taken here—moments behind and away from the camera that I cherish.

On this trip to Forsyth Park, I was forced to dodge raindrops, several times seeking shelter among the Spanish moss draped oak trees. I guess that was somehow appropriate. But as sprinkles turned into a steady rain, I encountered an adorable couple walking under an umbrella near the fountain. After a few moments, they sat down on one of the benches ringing the waters. I asked if I could photograph them and they agreed. When I finished shooting, the gentleman told me, “If you need our names, we’re Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.”

Forest Gump visited this park. And I guess he was right. “Life is like a box of chocolates. You just never know what you’re gonna get.”

No comments: